Whatever work we do requires certain skills to fulfill the demand, same is with service desk.
What is Service Desk (Help Desk)?
It is a team of support agents which provides support to employees of their own organization through a voice/non-voice mode. The support may be on technical or non-technical issue, that totally depends upon the production/work environment of the company. Usually, Support agents provide support through on of these medium like calls, chats, emails or through 24*7 self-service queue management.
There are certain skills a service desk agent should possess in order to run process diligently.
Top 5 skills required for Service Desk are:
- Good Communication skills:A good communicator of the language speaks in a way that listener understand his voice/thoughts and vice-versa.
- Soft spoken: User may report any issue angrily. Agent should understand his situation, make him feel that you will resolve his issue.
- Patience: Agent should be humble in nature.
- Should be ready to work in 24*7 environment: There are support desk which provides support 24*7. In that case, the work shift gets change frequently and user has to adjust accordingly.
- Adaptive to changing circumstances: There may be some instances when many services stops and the impact is very large. This situation is technically known as an Outage. At that particular time, the bigger flow of incident request calls may arrive. The agent should adapt to this situation and work punctually.